Original Recipe Yield 1 - 9x13 inch cake
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9x13 inch pan or three 8 or 9 inch round layer cake pans.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth and fluffy. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Separate the eggs and set the egg whites aside. Add the egg yolks one at a time to the creamed mixture, beating after each one.
- Measure the baking powder into the flour, sift a little of the flour into the creamed mixture. Continue adding the flour and the milk alternately, while continually beating the mixture. Beat the cake batter until a few air bubbles show.
- Beat the 4 egg whites with a dash of salt until stiff. Gently fold egg whites into the batter. Pour batter into prepared pan(s).
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until cake(s) test done, approximately 25 to 35 minutes.